Green is the new Lean
“How Plant Based Diet Can Transform Your Life”
People have embraced meals that largely appealed to their taste buds. From times immemorial and through the ages as humans evolved, our needs transformed into our wants. In most of our meals from breakfast to dinner there is some element at least that consists of animal products, be it eggs, bacon, poultry or dairy products. With changing lifestyles and lesser physical exertion (thanks to growing technology), our body needs to be cared for a lot so it stays fit and help us live a long healthy life. The question is how are we going to do it and the answer is simple, Go Back to Mother Earth.
We are talking about plant based diet, or vegetarian diet or Vegan food whatever you choose to call it, make sure at least eighty to ninety percent of your diet consists of fruits & vegetables. Plant-based foods are rich in vitamins and minerals, low in calories. full of fiber & free of bad cholesterol with less saturated fat. Consuming a blend of these foods provides all the required nutrients to our body. Much of our needs for protein & calcium can be met with plants based food. Eating plant-based diet lower their risk for heart disease, type 2 diabetes, obesity, and other health conditions. Consuming plant-based diet also can be less expensive as compared to animal food. Nuts, grains & legumes etc. all coming from plants in one form or the other. Even if you choose to eat animal food, make sure it stays in small proportion & not overloaded with unhealthy carbs & calories. It’s wise to keep foods like meat, dairy, poultry or seafood as complimentary & not as your main course of diet.
- Vegetables: Leafy greens like spinach, fenugreek, broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, asparagus, cauliflower etc.
- Beans & Legumes: Kidney beans, soy beans, cranberry beans, black beans, chickpeas, peanuts, peas, lentils etc.
- Fruits: Bananas, papaya, citrus fruits, peaches, berries, pineapple, pears etc.
- Whole grains: Oats, barley, brown rice, millets etc.
- Healthy fats: Olive oil, avocados, unsweetened coconut, nuts and nut butters made of peanut, cashews, macadamia, almond, etc.
- Seeds: Sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, musk melon etc.
- Unsweetened plant-based milks: Almond milk, cashew milk or coconut milk, etc.
- Spices & Condiments: Turmeric, curry, rosemary, black pepper, basil, mustard, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, salsa, vinegar, lemon juice, etc.
- Beverages: Tea, sparkling water, coffee etc.
- If you are choosing to compliment some part of your meal with animal food, then below tips shall be helpful;
- Dairy: Antibiotic free organic dairy products from farm raised animals
- Eggs & Poultry: Organic & Pasture-raised